Local Suburbs

Balmoral

Balmoral is an urban locality in the suburb of Mosman in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Balmoral is located in the local government area of the Municipality of Mosman and is part of the Lower North Shore.

The locality is mostly known for its beach, officially divided into Balmoral and Edwards Beaches. Expensive residential real estate on the surrounding “Balmoral Slopes” benefits from the views and beach proximity. The naval depot HMAS Penguin is situated at the eastern end of Balmoral Beach. It houses a naval hospital and is accessed from Middle Head Road.

Balmoral features Balmoral and Edwards Beaches, both of which are separated by the outcrop of Rocky Point. Both beaches are usually referred to as simply Balmoral. The locality has views across the entrance to Middle Harbour to North Head, Manly, and Clontarf. The harbour beaches face north east and is sheltered from ocean swell by Middle Head. The entire beach is listed on the Register of the National Estate as the ‘Balmoral Beach Conservation Area’. The conservation area includes the promenade, the esplanade, the Rotunda and the Bathers’ Pavilion, which date back to the 1930s.

Balmoral is named after Balmoral Castle, the large estate house in Aberdeenshire, Scotland known as Royal Deeside and a favourite summer royal residence. The Star Amphitheatre, an open air temple constructed by the Theosophical Society-related group, was built in 1923-1924. Intended as a platform for lectures by the expected ‘World Teacher’, widely believed at the time to be Jiddu Krishnamurti, it was demolished in 1951, and its foundations used for an apartment building that still stands on the site.


Cammeray

Cammeray is a suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Cammeray is located 5 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council.

Cammeray is mostly a residential area. Some houses have waterfront access such as those in Cowdroy Avenue and the end of Cammeray Road, leading down to Folly Point.

Cammeray is named after the Cammeraygal, the Aboriginal tribe who once resided in the North Sydney area. Cammeray was Sydney’s first quarry, with sandstone blocks from the quarry making many of the first buildings in Sydney town.

Recently there have been many housing redevelopments in the heart of Cammeray Shopping Village. They take the form of low rise studio and one-bedroom apartments blocks. Further along Miller Street are some ongoing housing redevelopments, again in the form apartments, that are being built on the site of the ANZAC Club’s carpark.

While there are also some older high rise apartment blocks in certain areas of Cammeray that were built several decades ago, the majority of residences are in the form of stand-alone or semi-detached, single or double-storey houses. Many of the quieter streets are lined with trees and have nature stips. This gives Cammeray a pleasant green look.

A new project by the developers Hamptons/Namsauh the “Cammeray Square” will be a residential/commercial facility, and will have four levels. The lower shall be dedicated to Cafes and shops and a central courtyard will also be featured. The development is located at the corner of Miller and Amherst street, it is due to be completed in August 2008.


Castle Cove

Castle Cove is a suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Castle Cove is located 11 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Willoughby. Castle Cove is situated on the western side of Middle Harbour which provides spectacular views.

The suburb is home to Castle Cove Park and the Castle Cove Golf Links. The local school is Castle Cove Public School and the principal is Jeanette Cope. The school has an active Parents and Community Association.

It is believed that Castle Cove was named after the estate of Henry Willis, a prominent member of the Parliament of New South Wales at the time. Innisfail Castle was his Gothic style house built in 1905 overlooking Sugarloaf Bay from sandstone quarried on the estate.

During the mid 1980s, a plan by the NSW Roads and Traffic authority to extend the Warringah Freeway along the north edge of Castlecrag was abandoned following an outcry from local residents. This would have extended the Warringah freeway to the area of its name, and bypassed the heavily congested Military Road and Warringah Road links to the Northern Beaches of Sydney. The plan involved the construction of a bridge from the eastern end of Castlecrag over Middle Harbour to Seaforth. Following this, a plan to route the Warringah Freeway through Castle Cove, was rejected for the same reasons as above.

Around 1985, the descendants of Henry Willis attempted to subdivide the land around the Castle, to be used for construction of several town houses, and turn the Castle into a wedding reception centre. As the land earmarked for the town houses was previously donated to the Castle owners by the government to enhance the Castle grounds, it was felt that profiting from this was inappropriate. As a result, Willoughby Council rejected the rezoning required to build the townhouses. Permission to run a business from the Castle was also rejected. The Castle owners then sold the property for approx $4 million, via an onsite public auction.


Clifton

Clifton Gardens is an urban locality in the suburb of Mosman in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Clifton Gardens is located in the local government area of the Municipality of Mosman and is part of the Lower North Shore.

Clifton Gardens features an affluent residential area and is home to several beaches and wharves on Sydney Harbour. Clifton Gardens is also a popular fishing spot in summer. Species like the yellowtail kingfish, bonito and australian salmon are caught frequently during summer months. In winter trevally can be caught quit regularly.

Early settler Captain E. H. Cliffe purchased a 15 acre estate on the waters edge, he named it “Cliffeton” and it is believed that the area’s name was derived from that. A hotel called the Clifton Arms was built in 1871 by D. Butters. It was bought by David Thompson who built the Marine Hotel that operated from 1891 to 1967. Thompson also built a wharf and dancing pavilion here and the area became popular as a picnic spot.


Clontarf

Clontarf is a suburb of northern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Clontarf is located 13 kilometres north-east of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of Manly Council, in the Northern Beaches region.

Clontarf is named after the Clontarf district in Dublin, Ireland.

The son of Queen Victoria, Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh visited Clontarf in 1868 where he was shot in the back by an Irishman, Henry James O’Farrell. Alfred was ingloriously saved because the bullet struck him at a point where his India-rubber braces, holding his trousers up, crossed over.The bullet was deflected around his rib-cage and did no major harm.


Cremorne Point

Cremorne Point is a harbourside suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Cremorne is located 6 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government areas of North Sydney Council.

Cremorne Point shares the postcode of 2090 with Cremorne, a separate suburb to the north. Cremorne Point sits on Sydney Harbour between Shell Cove and Mosman Bay. Cremorne Junction is a locality within the suburb of Cremorne.

Cremorne was named after the Cremorne Gardens, a popular pleasure ground in London, England.

Robertsons Point was named after James Robertson who was granted 35 hectares there in 1820. He was the father of Premier Sir John Robertson. Robertsons Point offers one of the best views of Sydney and its harbour.


Georges Heights

Georges Heights is an urban locality in the suburb of Mosman, in Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Georges Heights is located in the local government area of the Municipality of Mosman and is part of the Lower North Shore.

Georges Heights was named after King George III, who reigned from 1760 to 1820, which was during the time that the First Fleet left Portsmouth, England in 1788 and arrived in what is now Sydney Harbour.

The Georges Head Battery located in Georges Heights was constructed in 1871. A naval depot stands on the eastern side of Chowder Bay.


Kirribilli

Kirribilli is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Kirribilli is located 3 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council. Kirribilli is a harbourside suburb, sitting on the Lower North Shore of Sydney Harbour.

The name Kirribilli is derived from an Aboriginal word ‘Kiarabilli’, which means ‘good fishing spot’. This suburb initially formed part of a grant to James Milson, after whom Milsons Point was named. The area was later sub-divided, first for the construction of large family residences in the 1840s, and then for the erection of Victorian terrace houses and 20th-Century blocks of flats. Prominent early landowners in Kirribilli included members of the Campbell and Gibbes families. Colonel John George Nathaniel Gibbes, the Collector of Customs for New South Wales, built ‘Wotonga’ – the forerunner of Admiralty House – in 1842-43 on a five-acre site which he leased, and then purchased, from the Campbells. The Colonel’s son, William John Gibbes, lived nearby in Beulah House (since demolished) during the 1840s.

Kirribilli is one of Australia’s oldest and most established suburbs, as much of its architecture may suggest. The suburb contains Kirribilli House (the official Sydney residence of the Prime Minister), Admiralty House (the official Sydney residence of the Governor-General) and the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron. Admiralty House, originally a private dwelling belonging to Colonel John George Nathaniel Gibbes (see above), is Kirribilli’s oldest extant building. The earliest portions go back to 1842. Kirribilli House was built next door by Adolphus Frederick Feez, a well-to-do merchant, in 1854-55.


Mosman

Mosman is a suburb on the Lower North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Mosman is located 8 kilometres north-east of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for the local government area of the Municipality of Mosman.

Mosman is named after Archibald Mosman (1799–1863) and his twin brother George, who moved onto a four acre land grant in the area in 1831. They were involved in shipping, and founded a whaling station on a bay in the harbour, which became known as Mosman’s Bay. George subsequently became involved in grazing, but Archibald continued with whaling activities. By 1838, he owned 108 acres (0.44 km2) along the Mosman waterfront.


Neutral Bay

Neutral Bay is a harbourside suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Neutral Bay is located 5 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council.

Neutral Bay takes its name from the bay that sits on Sydney Harbour. Kurraba Point is a locality in Neutral Bay. Surrounding suburbs include North Sydney, Cammeray, Milsons Point, Cremorne and Cremorne Point.

The name Neutral Bay, originates from the time of the early colonial period of Australia, where different bays of Sydney harbour where zoned for different incoming vessels. This bay was where all foreign vessels would dock, hence the name neutral.

The Aboriginal name for the area was ‘Wirra-birra’. In 1789, soon after the arrival of the First Fleet in Sydney, Governor Arthur Phillip declared that this bay a neutral harbour where foreign ships could anchor and take on water and supplies. Neutral Bay was far enough away from Sydney Cove to discourage convicts from escaping on these vessels and to keep possible enemy ships at a distance from the main settlement.

By the beginning of the 20th century, Neutral Bay and Cremorne were developing as “alternative society suburbs”, populated by the kind of people who were attracted to the Arts and Crafts architectural style that was in vogue at the time. This style was an attempt to get away from mass production and give homes the “human touch”. Notable examples soon appeared in the area. Brent Knowle, in Shellcove Road, Neutral Bay, was designed by Bertrand James Waterhouse and built in 1914. It influenced home design in the area for at least the next fifteen years.


North Sydney

North Sydney is a suburb and commercial district on the Lower North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. North Sydney is located 3 kilometres northern of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for the local government area of North Sydney Council.

The Aborigines on the southern side of Sydney Harbour called the north side warung which meant the other side. However, the Aborigines on the northern side also used the same name to describe the southern side.

The first name used by European settlers was Hunterhill, named after a property owned by Thomas Muir (1765-1799), a Scottish political reformer. He purchased land in 1794 near where the north-east pylon of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is now located and built a house which he named after his childhood home. The area then became known as St Leonards and this name applied to the whole area north to Gore Hill. The township of St Leonards was laid out in 1836 in what is now North Sydney, bounded by what is now Miller, Walker, Lavender and Berry Streets. By 1846 there were 106 houses here and by 1859, the commercial centre had extended from Milsons Point to Miller Street. A bus service operated by Jeremiah Wall ran between Milsons Point and North Sydney Shops, so North Sydney slowly developed its own identity.

The North Sydney municipality was incorporated in 1890 and after many disputes settled on the name ‘North Sydney’. The post office which opened in 1854 as St Leonards was changed to North Sydney in 1890. The first public school which opened in 1874 as St Leonards was renamed North Sydney in 1910.


Seaforth

Seaforth is a suburb of northern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Seaforth is located 12 kilometres north-east of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of Manly Council and is part of the Northern Beaches region.

Seaforth overlooks Middle Harbour and is linked south to Mosman by the Spit Bridge. To the west, Seaforth overlooks Sugarloaf Bay across to the suburbs of Northbridge, Castlecrag and Castle Cove. The Garigal National Park sits on the northern border.

Seaforth was named after Loch Seaforth and Seaforth Island in Scotland. The land in this area was once owned by Henry Halloran, who subdivided it in 1906.


Spit Junction

Spit Junction is an urban locality in the suburb of Mosman in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Spit Junction is located in the local government area of the Municipality of Mosman and is part of the Lower North Shore.

E. and W.E. Brady bought 9 acres (36,000 m2) in this area in 1855 and it became a bush racetrack until the area was subdivided in 1902. The area had been known as Trafalgar Square, from the name of a block of shops built at the corner of Spit Road and Military Road.


St Leonards

The Municipality of Lane Cove is a Local Government Area located about 10km north-west of the central business district of Sydney, Australia, in the south-west corner of the North Shore. The Lane Cove River borders its south, with the eastern part of Hunter’s Hill just across that river. It extends westward to Ryde, with Willoughby to the north and North Sydney to the east.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, there:

  • were 32,375 people as at 30 June 2006, the 66th largest Local Government Area in New South Wales. It was equal to 0.5% of the New South Wales population of 6,827,694
  • was an increase of 89 people over the year to 30 June 2006, the 89th largest population growth in a Local Government Area in New South Wales. It was equal to 0.2% of the 58,753 increase in the population of New South Wales
  • was, in percentage terms, an increase of 0.3% in the number of people over the year to 30 June 2006, the 115th fastest growth in population of a Local Government Area in New South Wales. In New South Wales the population grew by 0.9%
  • was an increase in population over the 10 years to 30 June 2001 of 1,048 people or 3.3% (0.3% in annual average terms), the 85th highest rate of a Local Government Area in New South Wales. In New South Wales the population grew by 622,966 or 10% (1.0% in annual average terms) over the same period.

The Spit

The Spit is an urban locality in the suburb of Mosman in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The Spit is located in the local government area of the Municipality of Mosman and is part of the Lower North Shore.

The Spit protrudes off Beauty Point and is home to the Spit Bridge, a bascule bridge opened in 1958 over Middle Harbour. The bridge opens at set times to a allow yachts with high masts to pass. The Spit is the site of the Middle Harbour Yacht Club and a marina.

From as early as 1834, a ferry operated by Barney Kearns carried passengers across the waters of Middle Harbour. From the 1850s, a punt operated by Peter Ellery, carried passengers across for sixpence and horse-drawn vehicles were charged 1s 6d. If the horses swam across, there was a reduction of sixpence. In 1889, it was replaced by a government steam punt. A wooden bridge was opened in 1924 after the electric tram lines were extended to the Spit. This was replaced by the bascule bridge in 1958, which was needed to cope with heavy traffic from the Sydney CBD to the Northern Beaches. Chinaman’s Beach was named after the Chinese residents who had market gardens and salt pans there.


Waverton

Waverton is a suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Waverton is located 4 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council.

Waverton was named in 1929 after the Waverton Estate of an early resident, Robert Old. The land once belonged to William Carr, who named it after an English village connected to his family.

The North Shore railway line was extended south from St Leonards to Milsons Point in 1893. The station in this area for nearly forty years was known as Bay Road, after the thoroughfare that crosses the railway line. The local progress association recommended a change and Waverton was chosen in 1929.


Wollstonecraft

Wollstonecraft is a harbourside suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Wollstonecraft is located 5 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council.

Wollstonecraft was named after Edward Wollstonecraft, the first settler to receive a land grant of 500 acres in the area, in 1825. Historical records quote him as saying that he left England to escape the notoriety of his aunt, Mary Wollstonecraft the author of “The Rights of Women”. His business associate was Alexander Berry, another prominent resident in the area.

Source: Wikipedia